NPD grants two drilling permits to AkerBP in North Sea


The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) has granted drilling permits to AkerBP for two wells located in the North Sea.

The permission to drill 25/2-19 S and 25/2-19 A was granted under section eight of the Resource Management Regulations.

Both the wells are situated in production licence 442 and will be drilled using the Maersk Interceptor drilling facility.

AkerBP operates the licence with 90.26% interest, while Lotos Exploration and Production Norge holds the remaining 9.74% stake.

The area in this licence comprises a part of block 25/2 and a part of block 25/3.

As part of the drilling programme, both 25/2-19 S and 25/2-19 A will be drilled nearly 15km north of the Frøy field in the North Sea and situated around 140km from the coast.

"AkerBP operates the licence with 90.26% interest, while Lotos Exploration and Production Norge holds the remaining 9.74% stake."

They will be the seventh wells to be drilled in the licence.

NPD awarded production licence 442 on 15 June 2007 in APA 2006 on the Norwegian shelf.

The operator is required to secure other necessary permits and consents required by other authorities before the commencement of the drilling programme.

NPD also granted Wellesley Petroleum a drilling permit for well 33/9-22 S located in the production licence 881.

Well 33/9-22 S will be drilled using the Deepsea Bergen drilling facility about 1km north of the Statfjord field in the North Sea.