Statoil and partner ExxonMobil have confirmed a new high-impact discovery at the Lavani well located in Block 2 licence, offshore of Tanzania.
The Lavani well, drilled in a water depth of 2,400-metres by Ocean Rig Poseidon, is the second exploration well in Block 2 - which covers an area of 5,500 square kilometres.
Logging results revealed a preliminary resource estimate of three trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of gas in place with 95m of quality reservoir sandstone with high porosity and high permeability, said Statoil.
Tim Dodson, Statoil executive vice president for Exploration, said the result from Lavani, which is 16km south of its recent Zafarani discovery, confirms the high potential in Block 2.
"We are also pleased to announce that the recently drilled Zafarani sidetrack added another one Tcf of gas in place," said Dodson.
"This is in addition to the up to five Tcf announced in February. The results so far mark an important step towards a possible natural gas development in Tanzania."
The company operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65% stake, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania holding the remaining 35% interest.
Image: The Lavani well was drilled by Ocean Rig Poseidon. Photo courtesy of: Statoil / Heine Melkevik.