Brynhild Oil Field, Norway


Brynhild Oil Field

The Brynhild field was developed under production license 148 in Block 7 of the Norwegian North Sea at water depth of 80m. The field is located around ten kilometres from the UK border and 210km offshore of the Norwegian mainland.

Lundin Norway is the operator, with a 90% interest in the offshore field. Talisman Norge holds the remaining 10% stake in the field.

Total investment in the field is estimated to be $5bn.

"The field is located around 10km from the UK border and 210km offshore of the Norwegian mainland."

Brynhild field discovery and development

The oil field was discovered in 1992. The plan for development and operation (PDO) of the field was submitted in August 2011 and approved by the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy in November 2011.

The field is a fast-track subsea tie back to the FPSO on the Shell-operated Pierce field located 38km to the south of the field. The topsides of the FPSO were modified in order to enable the tie-in.

Development drilling for the field commenced in June. The first oil production was achieved in December 2014, with gross peak production anticipated to reach 12,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Brynhild geology and oil reserves

"The gross reserves of the Brynhild field are estimated to be 23 million barrels of oil equivalent."

The Brynhild reservoir lies approximately 3,300m beneath the seabed. The reservoir containing under-saturated oil comprises upper Jurassic sandstones of the Ula Formation.

As of December 2015, the gross reserves of the Brynhild field were estimated to be 5.7 million barrels of oil equivalent.

Brynhild subsea production infrastructure

The subsea production system involved drilling four development wells, including two production wells and two water-injection wells.

Oil is produced by pressure support through water injection. A subsea template with a manifold is to house the wellheads. The production stream is transported by a 38km pipeline to the Haewene Brim FPSO located in the Pierce field. The production flow line is a nominal size of 6in using a pipe-in-pipe configuration. The 35km pipeline was installed using Technip's Apache II vessel.

The production system also includes a 39km-long water injection line from Pierce to Brynhild of 6in nominal size, and one umbilical system connecting the Brynhild template manifold system to the Pierce field FPSO.

The production flow line from Brynhild passes via a riser base manifold (RBM), which is the commingling point between Brynhild and Pierce. The RBM, equipped with isolation valves and a multi-phase flow meter (MPFM) module, measures the production from both the fields.

The combined well flow is then transported to the FPSO for processing via a 10in dynamic flexible riser. The gas produced is reinjected into the Pierce field.

The processed oil is exported by shuttle tankers to the market.

Contractors involved with Brynhild oil field development

Aker Solutions was awarded a $122m contract in November 2011 for the engineering, procurement and construction of the Brynhild subsea production system, including the template-manifold structure, riser base, subsea trees, umbilicals and the wellhead, control and tie-in systems.

Maersk Drilling was awarded a contract in the same month for its jack-up rig Maersk Guardian to perform development drilling at Brynhild.

Technip was awarded a €100m contract in November 2011 to supply and install both the production and water injection flowlines, as well as install the subsea structures including the control umbilical.

Emerson Process Management was awarded a contract by Aker Solutions in May 2012 to supply its Roxar subsea instrumentation package that includes equipment for multiphase flow measurement, downhole monitoring, chemical injection and sand detection.


Related content


Atla Gas and Condensate Field, North Sea, Norway

Atla gas and condensate field (formerly known as David) is located in block 25/5 of the southern North Sea, Norway. It lies about 20km away from the Heimdal field, in water depths of 119m (393ft).

Babbage Gas Field, North Sea, United Kingdom

Babbage gas field is located in Block 48/2, about 80km offshore of the UK in the North Sea. It lies in 139ft (42m) of water and is the largest gas accumulation in the southern North Sea.