News, views and contacts from the global Offshore industry

Bukit Tua Development Project, East Java, Indonesia

Key Data

bukit tua

The Bukit Tua Development Project involved the development of the Bukit Tua oil and gas field located 35km north off the coast of Madura Island, the Ketapang Production Sharing Contractors (PSC) region, offshore East Java, Indonesia. The oil and gas field is located at a water depth of 57m (187ft).

The field is expected to produce approximately 22.8 million barrels of oil and 70 billion standard cubic feet of gas during the first five years of production. First production occurred in May 2015 and the field is expected to produce 3,700 barrels of oil a day (bopd) and two million standard cubic feet of gas a day (mmscfd) in the initial months, which will increase to 20,000bopd of oil and 50mmscfd of gas.

The Ketapang PSC offshore region is operated by PETRONAS Carigali Ketapang. PETRONAS holds an 80% share in the Ketapang PSC, while the remaining 20% is held by PT Saka Ketapang Perdana, a wholly owned subsidiary of PT Saka Energi Indonesia. The Bukit Tua Development Project was acquired from ConocoPhillips in 2008.

Discovery, geology and reserves of Bukit Tua field

The Bukit Tua oil and gas field was discovered in April 2001, with the drilling of the Bukit Tua-1 well at a depth of approximately 6,500ft.

The Oyong oilfield is situated 8km off the coast of Madura Island in the East Java region of Indonesia.

The field is estimated to contain recoverable reserves of 65 million barrels of oil and 110 billion cubic feet of gas. The oil and gas are located within the Oligo-Miocene carbonate reservoirs of the Kujung and Ngimba formations.

Related Suppliers

Bluewater Energy Services - FPSOs and Single-Point Mooring Systems
Bluewater designs, manufactures and supplies floating production, storage...

AES - Design and Engineering Services for Offshore and Subsea Applications
Adaptive Engineering Services (AES) provides engineering services...

Aveon Offshore - Fabrication and Construction Services for the Oil and Gas Industry
Aveon Offshore is fabrication company that has been providing...

See all suppliers

Bukit Tua field development details

Following the drilling of the first well, the field was further appraised by Bukit Tua-2 and 3A wells, drilled in 2003, and Bukit Tua-4 drilled in 2004. The operator drilled the Bukit Tua South-2 appraisal well to assess the Bukit Tua South-1 oil discovery made in 2012. The plan for development (POD) of the Bukit Tua Field was approved in July 2008.

The development plan for the Indonesian offshore oil and gas field involved the drilling of five production wells and one injection well, and installation of an unmanned well head platform (WHP) featuring three legged jackets, nine drilling slots, and a topside weighing 1,500t. The WHP is linked to a spread-moored floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) facility located 900km away.

The spread-moored FPSO was converted from an existing Aframax Tanker. The FPSO has a processing capacity of approximately 45,000 barrels of liquids a day and a crude storage capacity of 630,000 barrels. It is also capable of handling two million cubic metres of gas.

"Gas is transported through a 110km export pipeline to an onshore receiving facility in Gresik"

Gas is transported through a 110km export pipeline to an onshore receiving facility (ORF) in Gresik, while oil is exported from the FPSO with tandem mooring through a floating hose. The produced water is disposed into the sea.

Petrogas Jatim Utama purchases the gas from the field under a gas sales purchase agreement (GSPA) signed in April 2012. The purchased gas is further transferred to PT. Pembangkit Jawa Bali through a 23km pipeline.

Contractors for Bukit Tua offshore project

MMCOG (MMC Oil & Gas Engineering) provided the front-end engineering design (FEED) services for the project.

Keppel Shipyard performed the conversion of the FPSO on behalf of the conversion contractor, PT Trasamudra Usaha Sejahtera - M3nergy Offshore consortium. Technip MHB Hull Engineering (TMH) modified the marine and safety systems, and provided the engineering design services for the mooring and riser systems, offloading system, module supports, flare and helideck of the FPSO. The topside of the WHP was built by PT PAL Indonesia.

McDermott International was contracted to fabricate, transport, install and pre-commission the wellhead jacket and associated topsides, subsea pipeline tie-in spools, and export and infield pipelines.

NRI Energy Technology

Related Content