Jangkrik Complex Development, Muara Bakau Block, Indonesia


The Jangkrik Complex Development

The Jangkrik Complex Development involves the joint development of the Jangkrik and Jangkrik North-East fields located within the Muara Bakau block, approximately 70km off the coast of Makassar Strait, Indonesia, at water depths between 200m and 500m.

Eni holds a 55% share and operates the Muara Bakau permit, while GDF Suez holds the remaining 45% working interest in the permit. Development of the two gas fields is expected to cost approximately $4.13bn.

The plan for development (POD) of Jankrik was approved in November 2011 and the POD for Jangkrik North-East was approved in January 2013. Production is expected to start in mid-2017 and the fields are expected to produce 450 million metric cubic feet of gas a day (MMSCFD) for the first six years and continue producing at a lower capacity for approximately eight more years.

Up to 47% of the gas produced from the Indonesian offshore field is intended for domestic supply, whereas the remaining gas will be exported to neighbouring Asian countries.

Exploration, discovery, geology and reserves



Shah Deniz Stage Two is one of the world's biggest gas projects.


Eni discovered first gas at Jangkrik in April 2009 by drilling the exploration well at a water depth of 400m. The Jangkrik-2 appraisal well, drilled to a total depth of 2,449m at water depth of 425m, was successfully appraised in June 2010. Jangkrik-2 produced gas at a rate of 17.5MMSCFD during the production test. Another well was drilled in December 2010, at a water depth of 416m and total depth of 2,849m, to confirm the discovery of Jangkrik.

The Jangkrik North-East was discovered in July 2011 by drilling an exploration well at a water depth of 460m and total depth of 3,633m. The well produced gas at a rate of 30.6MMSCFD during the production test.

The reservoir at Jangkrik is located within the sands of the pliocene age, while the reservoir at Jankrik North-East is located within the sands of the pliocene and miocene age. The gas fields are estimated to hold combined proven reserves of more than 1.3 trillion cubic feet.

Development of the Jangkrik Complex

Development of the deep-water Jangkrik Complex primarily involves workovers on some existing wells, drilling of new production wells and installation of a new barge floating production unit (FPU) with a treatment capacity of 450MMSCFD of gas and condensates.

Construction of the FPU was completed in March 2017. The FPU will be tied back to the East Kalimantan pipeline, which will further convey the produced gas to PT Badak's Bontang LNG plant where the gas will be liquefied, and the condensates will be conveyed to Senipah Terminal.

Contractors involved with the project

A $1.1bn engineering, procurement, construction and installation (EPCI) contract for the FPU was awarded to a consortium of Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI), Saipem, Tripatra Engineers & Constructors, and Chiyoda. The topsides were fabricated at Saipem's Karimun Island Yard and the hull was fabricated at HHI's Ulsan yard in South Korea.

"Development of the two gas fields is expected to cost approximately $4.13bn."

A $720m contract for the supply of the subsea systems, including subsea trees, manifolds, jumpers and connection systems, umbilicals, tooling and ancillary topside and subsea controls systems, was awarded to FMC Technologies in February 2014.

Technip was awarded an EPCI contract for 36km of flexible risers and flow-lines with diameter between 4in and 14in, and 195km of pipeline with diameter between 4in and 24in, as well as subsea equipment such as mid-water arch and flowline end termination (FLET). Its offshore vessels G1201 and Deep Orient will carry out the installation works.

Technip is also responsible to install 51km of umbilicals, five manifolds, seven subsea isolation valves (SSIV), subsea structures and associated flying lead connectors. The company has also been awarded the EPC contract for the onshore receiving facility, which comprises equipment such as pig traps, metering systems and utilities.

NRI Energy Technology