News, views and contacts from the global Offshore industry
 

Manora Oil Field, Thailand




Key Data


Manora oil field is located in the G1/48 concession of the Gulf of Thailand. It lies in 50m of water approximately 75km from the coast of Thailand.

Pearl Energy is the operator of the field and has a 60% interest in the offshore property. Northern Gulf Petroleum, a subsidiary of Tap Oil, holds the remaining 40% interest in the field. First production from the field is expected in 2014. The production is expected to reach a peak rate of 15,000 barrels of oil a day (bopd).

Discovery of the Thai oil field

The Manora field was discovered in November 2009 by the Manora-1 exploration well. The well flowed at the rate of more than 9,000bopd from three zones.

Oil reserves at Manora

Proven and probable reserves of the field are estimated at 24 million barrels of oil. The resource estimate was reviewed and accepted by an independent expert, Resource Investment Strategy Consultants.

The field is ultimately expected to have a resource potential of about 31 million barrels of oil.

Appraisal and exploration drilling at the Gulf of Thailand-based field

"Manora oil field is located in the G1/48 concession of the Gulf of Thailand."

Two wells, Manora-2 and Manora-3, were drilled in 2010 to appraise the field. The wells successfully encountered hydrocarbons.

Pearl Energy commenced drilling of the Manora-4 well in October 2010. The well was directionally drilled to a measured depth of 3,475m by the Emerald Driller jack-up rig.

It was drilled to explore the area near the discoveries made by the Manora-1, 2 and 3 wells. The well did not encounter any oil, and was plugged and abandoned later.

Manora-4, however, provided useful insights about the oil reservoirs. This information will be helpful for the field development and the identification of drilling targets.

Development of the Manora oil field

The development concept for the Manora oil field was finalised in October 2011. The concept includes production from a central production and processing platform. The platform will be supported by a jacket, and will feature a deck with processing and water injection facilities.

The platform will be connected to a floating storage and offtake vessel (FSO) by a pipeline. The FSO will be moored at a Catenary Anchor Leg Mooring (CALM) Buoy.

The development plan includes drilling of ten production wells and five injection wells. Initially four production wells will be drilled. Water flooding of the reservoirs will be undertaken to maximise the oil recovery.

The Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) contract is expected to be awarded towards the end of 2011. Following completion of the FEED study, the final investment decision on the project will be made in the first half of 2012.

The engineering, procurement and construction contracts for the field development are expected to be awarded in 2012. Development drilling is scheduled to commence in 2013.

In the third quarter of 2011, Pearl Energy carried out geotechnical coring and site surveys at the field.

Projections for the future of the Thai oil field

The G1/48 and G3/48 licenses in the Gulf of Thailand include a number of prospects that can be developed either as tie-backs to the Manora field or as standalone projects. The license partners plan to commence a drilling programme in the second half of 2012 to identify these prospects.

"The Manora field was discovered in November 2009 by the Manora-1 exploration well."

To accomplish this, the partners are processing and interpreting data from a new seismic and geological study called Kinaree 3D that was acquired in 2011. The final processing has been completed and interpretation is ongoing.

Data from an existing study called Kra 3D, which was acquired in 2007, is also being reprocessed through pre-stack depth migration. Processing and interpretation of the Kra 3D data had earlier led to the discovery of the Manora field.

Based on the interpretation of the data from these studies, the partners are planning to launch an exploration programme to identify prospects near the Manora field.

In the third quarter of 2011, the partners commenced acquisition of two new 3D seismic surveys - Sida and Sattakut. The new surveys help in finding similar prospects in the G1/48 and G3/48 licenses.

The Manora oil field is in the G1/48 concession, about 75km from the coast of Thailand.
The Manora field will be developed using a central production and processing platform.
The Manora platform will be connected to a Floating Storage and Offtake vessel.
Processing of data from the Kra 3D seismic survey led to the discovery of the Manora field.