The American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) association has presented Safway Services with five Contractor Merit Safety Awards at the 2012 Safety Awards Reception and Banquet, held in Helotes, Texas.
"Our No. 1 value is safety," said Steve Wilson, Safway’s vice president of refining and petrochemicals. "When we’re recognized for safety performance, especially by our customers, it reflects well on our Employee Driven Safety Management System.
"It demonstrates the success we’re having with our onsite safety programs, and the commitment of everyone on our workforce to seek out every opportunity to drive safe work practices."
Safway received the following Contractor Merit Safety Awards:
- Safway Services at the Shell Deer Park Refinery of the Shell Chemical Company – 0.0 Total Recordable Incidence Rate (TRIR) in 52,842 hours worked in 2011
- Safway Services at the Convent Refinery of the Shell Chemical Company – 0.0 TRIR in 59,004 hours worked in 2011
- Safway Services at the Valero Refining – New Orleans, LLC, Valero St. Charles Refinery of the Valero Energy Corporation – 0.0 TRIR in 51,550 hours worked in 2011
- Safway Services at the Alliance Refinery of the ConocoPhillips Company – 0.0 TRIR in 165,124 hours worked in 2011
- Safway Services at the Tesoro Refining & Marketing facility – Tesoro Corporation – 0.0 TRIR in 20,976 hours worked in 2011
The Contractor Merit Safety Award recognizes maintenance contractors working a minimum of 20,000 hours per calendar year at a regular member facility which has achieved a total recordable incidence rate of 0.8 or less, with no workplace related fatality during the calendar year.
The AFPM Safety Statistics and Awards Program is part of a comprehensive safety program developed by AFPM’s Safety and Health Committee to promote accident prevention in the petroleum refining and petrochemical manufacturing industries, as well as the contractors supporting them.
The awards ceremony took place on May 17.