BHP and its partner have started oil production from the Ruby Project located offshore Trinidad and Tobago.
Located in the shallow water in Block 3(a) within the Greater Angostura Field, the Ruby Project secured BHP’s $283m funding approval in 2019.
The project involves oil and gas production from the Ruby and Delaware reservoirs through five production wells and a gas injector well.
The production wells are tied back to the existing processing facilities in the Greater Angostura field.
BHP said drilling and completion works are underway at the Ruby field. Subsequent wells are planned to be brought into production in the second and third quarter of this year.
BHP petroleum president Geraldine Slattery said: “The start-up of Ruby represents continued development of BHP’s oil and gas production facilities in Trinidad and Tobago, re-enforces the quality of the resource and its investment competitiveness.
“An Ocean Bottom Node (OBN) seismic survey acquired by BHP and the Block 3(a) partners in 2018, was utilised to illuminate and optimally position the Ruby Project development wells. This marks a significant milestone for our Petroleum business and our future in Trinidad and Tobago.”
Last year, McDermott International won a contract to provide subsea umbilicals, risers, and flowlines (SURF), transportation, and installation for the Ruby project.
BHP is the operator of the Ruby development with a 68.46% stake, while the National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago (NGC) holds the remaining 31.54% stake.
The Ruby Project is estimated to have a peak production capacity of up to 16,000 gross barrels of oil per day and 80 million gross standard cubic feet of natural gas per day.
According to estimates, the offshore field has 13.2 million barrels of oil and 274 billion cubic feet of natural gas.