China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) has said that it continues to search for three personnel who went missing following a fire outbreak at a production platform in Bohai Bay off China.
In its filing with the Hong Kong stock exchange, the company said the blaze broke out at the V29 well of its V platform in the Penglai 19-3 field off China’s northern coast on 5 April 2021.
The fire occurred while the company was undertaking emergency response procedures and well kill operations to control shallow gas overflow during drilling operation at the well V29.
CNOOC said that the fire was brought under control the following day.
CNOOC added: “The company carried out an oil spill check, and placed oil booms around the platform.”
Although 99 out of the 102 people on the platform were evacuated, the remaining three staff are still missing.
As part of the search and rescue mission, the company has dispatched helicopters, vessels, and drones.
CNOOC estimates the impact of the incident to be up to 600,000 barrels on its annual production.
The company’s press statement added: “The company will continue to closely monitor the development of related matters and make further announcements as appropriate in accordance with the Rules Governing the Listing of Securities on the Stock Exchange and applicable laws in the future.”
Production on the Penglai 19-3 oilfield area 4 adjustment/Penglai 19-9 oilfield phase II project (Penglai 19-3/19-9 project) started in May 2020.
CNOOC is the operator of the Penglai 19-3/19-9 project with a 51% stake. It is partnered by US-based ConocoPhillips’ subsidiary ConocoPhillips China, which owns the remaining stake of 49% in the offshore oil project.