Fugro secures subsea inspection contract for Cygnus field in UK
Join Our Newsletter - Get important industry news and analysis sent to your inbox – sign up to our e-Newsletter here
X

Fugro secures subsea inspection contract for Cygnus field in the UK

21 Jul 2021 (Last Updated July 21st, 2021 16:14)

Fugro will inspect the subsea infrastructure, including pipelines and structures, as well as undertake survey activities.

Fugro secures subsea inspection contract for Cygnus field in the UK
Fugro will make use of specialised survey technology. Credit: Pexels from Pixabay.

Dutch firm Fugro has secured a contract from Neptune Energy to provide subsea inspection services for the Cygnus gas field in the UK North Sea.

Fugro will make use of specialised survey technology to inspect the subsea infrastructure, which includes pipelines and structures.

The firm will also undertake survey activities prior to the future drilling campaigns on the Cygnus field, which is situated located within the UK Continental Shelf blocks 44/12a and 44/11a.

Fugro noted that it will carry out data processing from its remote operations centre in Aberdeen, Scotland.

Neptune UK managing director Alexandra Thomas said: “It’s crucially important to ensure the integrity and maintenance of subsea infrastructure and we are pleased to be awarding this contract to Fugro to help us achieve the highest standards of inspection.

“By deploying Fugro’s innovative digital technologies, we can support safe, efficient and reliable operations remotely.”

Fugro IRM Services Europe and Africa director Daniel Jones said: “By using our ROC in Aberdeen, we can complete these scopes from onshore while maintaining our high standards of data collection.”

Neptune Energy operates the Cygnus field with 38.75% stake while the remaining 61.25% interest is held by Spirit Energy.

The Cygnus field, which commenced production in 2016, has the capacity to export more than 250 million standard cubic feet of gas daily, making it the country’s largest single producing gas field.

Earlier this year, Neptune Energy and the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) teamed up to use drones to measure methane emissions of offshore oil and gas facilities.

The collaboration will see the deployment of the drone, aircraft and methane sensing technologies on the Neptune-operated Cygnus platform.

These technologies will provide operators with a close-up operations view of the offshore facility such as gas separation, drying and compression technology, and flaring and venting.