Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
February 16, 2015

Lundin Petroleum starts 16/1-24 exploration well drilling on Gemini prospect

Lundin Petroleum has started drilling exploration well 16/1-24, located in the Gemini prospect of the North Sea.

Image

Lundin Petroleum has started drilling exploration well 16/1-24, located in the Gemini prospect of the North Sea.

The well is located in PL338C south-west of the Edvard Grieg field, offshore Norway.

It will test the reservoir properties and hydrocarbon potential of Lower Paleocene aged sandstones of the Ty Formation.

The Gemini prospect is estimated to contain unrisked, gross prospective resources of 93 million barrels of oil equivalent (Mmboe).

The Island Innovator semi-submersible drilling rig will be used to drill the well to a planned total depth of 2,192m below mean sea level.

"The Edvard Grieg field will be developed with a steel platform resting on the seabed, with production start-up expected later this year."

Lundin Petroleum operates PL338C with a 80% working interest. OMV Norge holds the remaining 20% stake.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager

The Edvard Grieg field will be developed with a steel platform resting on the seabed, with production start-up expected later this year.

Lundin Norway, which is a subsidiary of Lundin Petroleum, currently has around 60 licences, which half are operatorships.

The company intends to explore, develop and produce hydrocarbons, primarily focused on oil, on the Norwegian Continental Shelf, in collaboration with licence partners and authorities.

Lundin Norway is operating and developing the Brynhild and Edvard Grieg fields and evaluating and maturing its major oil discovery, Johan Sverdrup.

The company recently began drilling of the 26/10-1 exploration well in the Zulu prospect of the North Sea.


Image: The 16/1-24 well is located in PL338C south-west of the Edvard Grieg field, offshore Norway. Photo: courtesy of njaj/FreeDigitalPhotos.net.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU