Papa Terra field

US energy firm Chevron‘s Brazilian subsidiary and Petrobras have started production on platform P-63, connected to well PPT-12, in the Papa Terra field, located in the southern Campos basin.

The floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) platform is anchored at a water depth of 1,200m and has capacity to process 140,000 barrels of oil per day, compress 1,000,000m³ of gas and inject 340,000 barrels of water.

It is the first production system to be deployed in Papa Terra.

The project is estimated to recover 380 million barrels of oil.

Besides FPSO P-63, which is to be connected to five production and 11 injection wells, Tension Leg wellhead platform (TLWP) platform P-61 will also operate in the area, connected to 13 production wells.

It is the first TLWP to operate in Brazil and will be towed to its final location this month.

Chevron upstream vice chairman and executive vice president George Kirkland said: "The startup of Papa-Terra is another important step toward meeting the growth target we’ve set for 2017."

The Papa-Terra field, located about 70 miles (110km) south-east of Rio de Janeiro at a depth of approximately 3,900ft (1,190m), is 37.5% owned by Chevron, while the project operator Petrobras holds the remaining 62.5%.

Said to be the company’s second deepwater development offshore of Brazil, the project involves an estimated investment of $5.2bn by Chevron. The field was discovered in 2003 and features the FPSO and the first tension leg wellhead platform in Brazil.

In February 2010, Chevron’s Brazilian subsidiary gave approval to proceed with the Papa Terra project development offshore of Brazil.

Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Company president Ali Moshiri said: "The successful development of Papa-Terra is the result of a robust partnership between Chevron and Petrobras that integrates the unique skills and expertise of both companies to deliver challenging projects and new energy production."


Image: Papa Terra Field, Campos Basin, Brazil. Photo courtesy of Petrobras News Agency.

Energy