BP Egypt has made a gas discovery in Hodoa, located in the West Mediterranean Deepwater, Nile Delta concession, about 80km north west of Alexandria, off Egypt.

The WMDW-7 well has been drilled to a depth of 6,350m in a water depth of 1,077m and is the first Oligocene Deep Water discovery in the West Nile Delta area.

BP executive vice-president of Exploration Mike Daly said that the Hodoa discovery further demonstrates the great potential of the deep reservoirs in the Nile Delta.

BP operates and holds 80% of the concession, while RWE Dea are holding the remaining 20%.