Eni has encountered gas at the new Jangkrik 3 well in the Muara Bakau permit area, off the coast of Borneo, Indonesia.

Jangkrik 3 is 70km off the Eastern Borneo coast at a water depth of 416m, and reached a total depth of 2,849m encountering over 60m net gas pay in reservoir sands of Pliocene age.

To date, the three wells drilled in the Jangkrik field confirm it to be an important gas discovery holding gas in place of over 1.4 trillion ft3 or about 250 million barrels oil equivalent.

The discovered gas will be routed to the nearby Bontang LNG plant, where Eni owns spare processing capacity and studies have begun for the rapid development of the discovery.

Eni is the operator of the Muara Bakau permit with a 55% share, and its partner GDF SUEZ holds the remaining 45%.