Petrobras has encountered light oil in the sandstone reservoirs of the post-salt section of the Espirito Santo Basin, offshore Brazil.

The firm hit oil in drilling well 1-BRSA-882-ESS, which is located in the BM-ES-32 (block ES-M-594) Exploratory Concession.

The reservoirs containing oil have a total payload thickness of 70m, is 3,850m deep and lies at a water depth of 2,100m.

According to Petrobras it is the deepest oil discovery of the Espirito Santo Basin.

The oil accumulation ranges from 25° to 30° API, with a quality similar to the oil discovered in the Golfinho field, 70km away.

Petrobras holds a 60% stake in the BM-ES-32 concession and is operator of the consortium composed of Statoil, which holds the remaining 40%.