Statoil has completed drilling of the Kiwi well in Egypt’s El Dabaa Licence (block 9) using the Discoverer Americas drillship.

The exploration well, drilled at a water depth of 2,700m, will target the Kiwi prospect in the block in the Mediterranean Sea west of the Nile Delta.

Initial results have shown that the well is dry and the results will be further evaluated to improve understanding of the area.

The 8,368km² licence is operated by Statoil, which owns a 80% share in the block with Sonatrach International Petroleum holding the remaining 20%.