Lundin Petroleum has made a new gas discovery in the Tarap-1 well of block SB 303, offshore Sabah, East Malaysia.

The well was directionally drilled to a depth of 2,675m in water depths of 70m using the drill rig Offshore Courageous.

The well encountered gas in all five independently sealed and stacked Miocene sands.

The gross total vertical pay thickness for the sands encountered is approximately 150m.

Lundin also completed an extensive data acquisition programme to determine the range of the well’s resource estimates.

The company will now drill its second well at the Cempulut prospect, also in SB303, as part of its five well drilling campaign outlined for Malaysia this year.

Lundin Malaysia holds a 75% stake in block SB303, while the remaining 25% is held by Petronas Carigali.