BP’s Thunder Horse platform has ramped up its oil and gas output, making the company the largest producer in the US Gulf of Mexico.

The deep-water platform was producing about 300,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day in March – up from the 200,000 boed the company reported in February, the company said.

The increase in production makes BP the largest producer in the US Gulf, with 400,000 boed in net production, according to BP’s American unit.

Thunder Horse is located in deep waters 150 miles (240km) south-east of New Orleans and is the largest semi-submersible oil platform ever built. The platform lies about 2km above the sea floor.

The reservoir was originally discovered in 1999 and began production last summer.

BP has a 75% stake in Thunder Horse, with ExxonMobil holding the remaining 25%.

By staff writer