Eni has commenced production at the Longhorn gas field in the Gulf of Mexico.

Eni is the operator of the Mississippi Canyon Blocks 502/546, close to the Louisiana coast.

Initially the field will generate gas at a rate of nearly 200 million standard cubic feet of gas per day from four subsea wells in depths of 2,500ft that are linked to the Eni-operated Corral platform.

The platform is a customary jacket structure based in MC Block 365, roughly 20 miles northwest of the field in water depths of 620ft.

The platform has been equipped with a new production and compression unit with a processing capacity of 6,000bpd and 250 million standard cubic feet of gas per day.

The Longhorn project attained its first production in three years from the initial exploration discovery unearthed in July 2006, and was concluded within two years of the authorisation.

The Corral platform is also being equipped to raise liquids production capacity to 12,000bpd to accommodate the upcoming tie-in of the Appaloosa oil field (100% owned by Eni), which is expected to start production in 2010.

Eni, operator of the Longhorn field, holds a 75% working interest, while Nexen owns the remaining 25% interest.