Shell and Nexen have announced a “significant” oil discovery at the Appomattox prospect in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.

The oil find is situated at the Appomattox prospect in 7,217ft of water in Mississippi Canyon blocks 391 and 392.

Shell spudded the discovery well on block 392 to a depth of 25,077ft and encountered about 530ft of oil pay.

An appraisal sidetrack had also been drilled to 25,950ft, encountering 380ft of oil pay.

Shell holds and operates an 80% interest at Appomattox and Nexen holds the remaining 20%.

Additional appraisal activities are planned later this year.