The Peregrino field

Statoil and its partner Sinochem have completed the drilling of appraisal well 3-STAT-8-RJS at the Peregrino field, 85km offshore of Brazil.

The field is located in the Campos basin at about 100m of water depth in licenses BM-C-7 and BM-C-47.

The main objectives of drilling the well were to confirm the previous volume estimate for the Peregrino South discovery and secure an optimal development solution for the Peregrino Phase II development.

The well encountered about 85m of high-quality oil-filled sandstone reservoir in the Carapebus formation, supporting the current subsurface model.

Statoil said more than 70% of net hydrocarbon pay has been identified in the well, and it confirms the significant potential of Peregrino South in the exploration well that was completed in April 2011.

Statoil Brazil president Kjetil Hove said the result confirms the company’s positive view on the Peregrino area and will form an important basis for the Peregrino Phase II development.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

"We will now continue to work toward a final investment decision to develop this new oil discovery," Hove added.

Statoil holds a 60% stake and the operatorship in the field, while China’s state-run Sinochem owns the remaining 40%.

The Peregrino field includes two drilling and wellhead platforms and a large floating production, storage and offload unit.

Oil production from the field started in April 2011 and is currently one of the largest producing offshore oil fields in Brazil.

Statoil also made the high-impact Pão de Açúcar discovery together with operator Repsol Sinopec and partner Petrobras in block BM-C-33 in February 2012.

Image: The Peregrino field is located 85km offshore of Brazil in water depths of around 100m. Photo courtesy of Statoil.