China’s Sinopec Heavy Lifting & Transportation Company (SLT) has been subcontracted to work on the first phase of the Duqm Refinery and Petrochemicals Industries scheme.
The specialist heavy lifting contractor is using the XGC88000, world’s largest crawler crane, for the project.
Crawler cranes are cranes mounted on an undercarriage with a set of tracks, also known as crawlers, that allow it to move around.
The XGC88000 has already been used to lift a diesel hydrogenation reactor, weighing 808t, into place as part of the EPC 1 package, according to a statement released by SLT.
The diesel hydrogenation reactor is 45.7m-tall.
In a statement, Sinopec said that there are totally 107 pieces of heavy equipment for Duqm Refinery EPC 1 package, of which 15 super-heavy pieces will be lifted by the XGC88000.
How well do you really know your competitors?
Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.
Your download email will arrive shortly
Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample
We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below formBy GlobalData
The main contract for EPC 1 is worth $2.4bn and was awarded to a joint venture of Tecnicas Reunidas and Daewoo E&C in August 2017.
Its scope includes:
- Construction of a crude distillation unit with a capacity of 2,30,000bpd
- Construction of a vacuum distillation unit with a capacity of 120,000bpd
- Construction of a saturated gas plant with a capacity of 6,500 mT/d
- Construction of hydrocracker unit with a capacity of 74,000 BPSD
- Construction of coker unit and unsaturated gas plant with a capacity of 52,000 BPSD
- Construction of coker amine regeneration unit
- Construction of coker sour water treatment system
- Construction of kerosene treatment unit with a capacity of 40,500 BPSD
- Construction of two LPG treatment units each unit with a capacity of 12,500 BPSD
- Construction of diesel hydrotreater unit with a capacity of 83.500 BPSD
- Construction of two hydrogen production units each with 126,500 Nm3/d
- Construction of two amine regeneration units each with 415 mT/d
- Construction of two sour water stripper each with 44 mT/d
- Construction of three sulfur recovery units each with 355 mT/d
- Construction of local electrical substations
- Construction of 23 buildings on an area of 18000m²
- Construction of local control stations
- Installation of cooling towers
- Laying of interconnecting pipe racks
- Installation of safety and security system
- Civil and underground piping works
The project management consultant (PMC) is Wood Group.
In August 2019 officials said that the Duqm refinery was 25% complete and they expected it to be operational in 2022.
This article is published by MEED, the world’s leading source of business intelligence about the Middle East. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here