GasSecure has developed a wireless infrared point gas detector. This quick response, high-end detector has many advantages for our customers, such as:
- No cables, offering full flexibility for the placement of detectors to achieve optimal coverage and increased safety
- No procuring or pulling of cables
- Less equipment required (junction boxes, barriers, cable trays), meaning less weight
- No cables means easier engineering and documentation
- A significant reduction in installation time
All of these factors and more add up to an overall system saving at about 60% to 80%, when compared with existing wired solutions.
GS01 wireless gas detector
The GS01 detector has been developed to be the best infrared, point gas detector on the market and to do so without a wire.
GS01 uses state-of-the-art technologies, including MEMS (microelectromechanical systems), to achieve our proprietary solution for the detection of hydrocarbons. The development has been supported by several oil majors as they realise the great opportunities this technology offers them on safety, cost, time and flexibility.
The detector is designed and produced in accordance with IEC61508 to achieve a SIL2 rating. Both the battery and the detector are certified as intrinsically safe, meaning you can install, operate and change the battery on the detector in zone 1 (class 1 / div. 1) areas.
Cutting-edge infrared gas detector
GasSecure uses cutting-edge technology as an enabler for creating a wireless, infrared detector in the GS01. Even though it is cutting edge, it is also very much proven in use. The different components of the detector, such as the MEMS chip and the ISA100 wireless communication, have been thoroughly tested and proven in use.
What is novel here is the ability to use this technology in a gas detector with fast and accurate response time and for two years, with continuous monitoring, between battery shifts.
The GS01 was officially released in the summer of 2012 and can already boast thousands of hours in operation both onshore and offshore. It has already saved our customers a lot of cost and time and done so without compromising on safety.
Wireless means flexibility
The wireless aspect opens up many possibilities and potential uses for the GS01, including:
- Revamps – easy addition or exchange without interfering with existing equipment
- Tank farms – install detection where cables haven’t been pulled
- Modifications – temporary installation during hot work or extensions
- New builds – save on time, cost and weight
- Increased safety – added cover can be achieved with more or better placed detectors