De-Tect Unit Inspection is a division of the CRC-Evans Inspection Group. We provide inspection, non-destructive testing and heat treatment services. Our inspection services include welding, painting and coating. We offer the following non-destructive testing services:
- Radiography (X-ray, gamma, digital and close proximity)
- Manual / automatic ultrasonic testing
- Manual A, B, C scan ultrasonic techniques
- Time of flight diffraction (ToFD)
- Phased array (AUT)
- Guided wave ultrasonics – long range (GUL)
- Eddy current testing
- Corrosion mapping surveys
- Positive material identification (PMI)
- Tank floor testing (MFL)
- Hardness testing (leeb and indentation)
- Surface crack testing
- Rope access services
Heat treatment services
We provide the following heat treatment services:
- Pre and post-weld
- Temporary and fixed furnaces
- Electrical / gas
- Diesel fuel fired
- High-velocity burners
- Refractory dry outs and curing
- Thermal stress analysis
- Equipment sales
- Trace heating sales and installation
Offshore pipeline services
Our group AUT division has successfully tested over 7,000km of pipelines to date. We offer the following pipeline services:
- Overland and subsea self-propelled internal crawler systems
- Conventional directional, panoramic X-ray and gamma equipment
- Fully automated ultrasonic testing utilising phased array technology coupled to the latest state-of-the-art computer-aided technology
- Conventional pulse echo A-scan, B-scan ultrasonic testing
- Magnetic particle and dye penetrant inspection
- C-scan corrosion mapping
Advanced corrosion inspection and pipe screening technology
Our guided wave (long-range) ultrasonic inspection (advanced corrosion inspection and pipe screening technology) has the following advantages:
De-Tect Unit Inspection
- 100% volumetric screening of long lengths of pipe (typically 10m to 400m from a single position)
- Can be performed at elevated temperatures without taking the pipe out of service
- Usually no surface preparation required
- Inspection of different materials (ferritic, stainless steel, super duplex, aluminum, titanium, etc.)
- Cost-effective in difficult to access locations
- Ability to detect cracks and general metal loss (greater than 5% of the cross-sectional area)
- Permanently installed monitoring system available for pipelines
- Results are immediately available and can be electronically sent to all parties
Our technology can be applied to:
- Offshore process pipework / riser inspections
- Refinery pipework
- Straight runs of pipe where 100% of the volume must be inspected and inspection under supports
- Lined sections of buried pipe and jetty lines
- Testing of elevated or complex pipework from convenient locations
- River and rail crossings
- Wall and deck penetrations
- Subsea pipelines
- Detection of corrosion / erosion under insulation
Phased array technology (manual and semi-automatic scanning)
Phased array technology offers the potential for radical improvements in inspection performance and economy. Unlike a conventional transducer, a phased array transducer consists of a large number of independent crystals. By changing the timing of pulse generation across the array of crystals, features such as beam angle, beam shape and beam emission point can be electronically controlled, assisting in inspecting complex geometry and restricted access areas.
Phased array technology offers improved defect sizing and detection capabilities, as well as improved reliability and signal interpretation. Permanent A, B and C-scan images as records can be electronically transmitted from the site to all parties for further disposition and evaluation. No site evacuation is required if compared with radiography work.
Our handheld, multifunction, advanced ultrasonic system combined with the focusing camera provides the total solution package for corrosion mapping, producing A, B and C-scan imaging, which is colour-coded for various thicknesses.
Close-proximity radiography is simply an addition to existing radiographic equipment and techniques. The concept is to collimate the radiation beam towards an area of interest. The area of interest is then enclosed with the Radstop Mazel mats.
This enclosed system eliminates all unwanted radiation and scatter from the primary beam and, when used in conjunction with a Selenium 75 (15-25Ci), will reduce the safe working distance. The clear benefit for the client is a decrease in loss of production and downtime. Due to the small barricading areas required, the system allows you to carry out radiography continuously for a 24hr period.
Tank floor testing (magnetic flux leakage)
We utilise the latest technology new-generation of magnetic flux leakage systems for the inspection of bulk-liquid storage tank floors.
Heat treatment services
Throughout the world, CRC-Evans Inspection Group can offer a portfolio of project services designed to overcome thermal technology problems, both now and in the future.
On-site services include electrical surface heating, refractory bake out and ladle drying. Also offered is the on-site pre and post-weld heat treatment of all welded structures, an engineering consultancy service in thermal technology, including electric surface heating and heat treatment, and complete turnkey project management of on-site operations, including the training of heat treatment personnel.