Total oil & gas industry deals worth $12.2bn were announced globally for August 2021, with the $2.56bn acquisition of Sinclair Oil & Gas and Sinclair Transportation being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 41.8% over the previous month of $20.97bn and a drop of 36.6% when compared with the last 12-month average of $19.25bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 18.58% with 92 deals in August 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 113 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $6.23bn in August 2021.
oil & gas industry deals in August 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 78.3% of the overall value during August 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $9.55bn, against the overall value of $12.2bn recorded for the month.
The top five oil & gas industry deals of August 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Holly Energy Partners and HollyFrontier $2.56bn acquisition deal with Sinclair Oil & Gas and Sinclair Transportation
2) The $2.55bn acquisition of Scotland Gas Networks by Brookfield Super-Core Infrastructure Partners and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
3) Chesapeake Energy $2.2bn acquisition deal with Vine Energy
4) The $1.3bn acquisition of OxitenoIndustria E Comercio by Indorama Ventures
5) BC Partners Fund XI and CPP Investment Board European Holdings $942.61m private equity deal with CeramTec
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.