Total oil & gas industry M&A deals worth $10.5bn were announced globally in August 2021, led by Holly Energy Partners and HollyFrontier’s $2.56bn acquisition of Sinclair Oil & Gas and Sinclair Transportation, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 46.7% over the previous month of $19.7bn and a drop of 25.1% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $14.03bn.
Comparing M&A deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $5.7bn. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $5.58bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for oil & gas industry M&A deals globally, followed by Asia-Pacific and then Europe.
The top country in terms of M&A deals activity in August 2021 was the US with 19 deals, followed by the China with nine and Canada with six.
In 2021, as of August, oil & gas M&A deals worth $92.29bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 11.6% year on year.
oil & gas industry M&A deals in August 2021: Top deals
The top five M&A deals accounted for 86.7% of the overall value during August 2021.
The combined value of the top five oil & gas M&A deals stood at $9.11bn, against the overall value of $10.5bn recorded for the month.
The top five oil & gas industry M&A deals of August 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Holly Energy Partners and HollyFrontier $2.56bn acquisition deal with Sinclair Oil & Gas and Sinclair Transportation
2) The $2.55bn acquisition of Scotland Gas Networks by Brookfield Super-Core Infrastructure Partners and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
3) Chesapeake Energy $2.2bn acquisition deal for Vine Energy
4) The $1.3bn acquisition of OxitenoIndustria E Comercio by Indorama Ventures
5) Viper Energy Partners $498.43m acquisition deal with Swallowtail Royalties and Swallowtail Royalties II