Total oil & gas industry M&A deals worth $10.5bn were announced globally in August 2021, led by Holly Energy Partners and HollyFrontier’s $2.56bn acquisition of Sinclair Oil & Gas and Sinclair Transportation, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 46.7% over the previous month of $19.7bn and a drop of 25.1% when compared with the last 12-month average, which stood at $14.03bn.
Comparing M&A deals value in different regions of the globe, North America held the top position, with total announced deals in the period worth $5.7bn. At the country level, the US topped the list in terms of deal value at $5.58bn.
In terms of volumes, North America emerged as the top region for oil & gas industry M&A deals globally, followed by Asia-Pacific and then Europe.
The top country in terms of M&A deals activity in August 2021 was the US with 19 deals, followed by the China with nine and Canada with six.
In 2021, as of August, oil & gas M&A deals worth $92.29bn were announced globally, marking an increase of 11.6% year on year.
oil & gas industry M&A deals in August 2021: Top deals
The top five M&A deals accounted for 86.7% of the overall value during August 2021.
The combined value of the top five oil & gas M&A deals stood at $9.11bn, against the overall value of $10.5bn recorded for the month.
The top five oil & gas industry M&A deals of August 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Holly Energy Partners and HollyFrontier $2.56bn acquisition deal with Sinclair Oil & Gas and Sinclair Transportation
2) The $2.55bn acquisition of Scotland Gas Networks by Brookfield Super-Core Infrastructure Partners and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
3) Chesapeake Energy $2.2bn acquisition deal for Vine Energy
4) The $1.3bn acquisition of OxitenoIndustria E Comercio by Indorama Ventures
5) Viper Energy Partners $498.43m acquisition deal with Swallowtail Royalties and Swallowtail Royalties II