Some 93.6% of companies in the offshore industry pay their male employees more than their female staff, an Offshore Technology analysis reveals.

The figures, which are based on reporting from all companies in the UK with a headcount of 250 employees or more, show that three of the 47 companies that have reported their pay figures had a higher women’s median hourly pay than men.

Across the sector, men’s median hourly pay was 20% higher than that of women. This puts offshore industry above the national average of 11.6%.

A high gender pay gap does not necessarily imply that women are paid less for the same jobs, which would be illegal under the 1970 Equal Pay Act. Instead, it may suggest that men tend to dominate the top-paying jobs within companies.

Women working in oil & gas occupied 18.5% of the top-paying jobs in the industry, with the rest of the top spots (81.5%) occupied by men. On the other end of the pay scale, women occupied 40.5% of the lowest-paid jobs in offshore industry.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

On average, women also received 24.4% less in bonuses compared to their male co-workers.

Among companies in the offshore industry, Archer had the biggest difference in median hourly pay, with women earning 52.3% less than men. That means that for each £1 earned by men in the company, women earned £0.48. It was followed by CNR International with a pay gap of 44% and Engie with 41.9%.

At the other end, Wales & West Utilities paid women 7% more than men for each hour worked, followed by EDF Energy, which paid women 6.8% more and Octopus Energy, which paid women 5.1% more.

The gender pay gap in offshore industry has decreased in the 2021-22 reporting year compared to the year before. However, the gap has increased compared to 2017-18, when figures were first published.


This analysis is based on data from GOV.UK’s Gender pay gap service. We identified companies in the offshore industry based on the SIC codes they reported.

The data provides several summary indicators, including the difference in mean and median pay for the two genders. Mean pay indicates the average pay across each group, while the median is the value that sits in the middle of a list of salaries arranged from lowest to highest, with half of salaries being lower than the median and the other half being higher. The median is used to prevent extreme values at either end of the pay scale (a CEO’s salary, for example) from skewing the average. Both indicators have advantages and disadvantages, but we used the median figures in our analysis.

To create an indicator for the offshore industry, we averaged the median pay gaps in the industry and weighted them by the company size. That way, a company with 20,000 or more employees would influence the average more than a company that employs 250 people.

While the figures are a good indication of the state of the industry, they should not necessarily be taken at face value. As the first graphic in the article suggests, many companies report a gender pay gap of zero, which is statistically improbable. A minority of companies also reported a gender pay gap of 100%, which might indicate they have no female employees at all.

Because companies are only compelled to disclose summary statistics, the figures cannot be verified.