View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
March 16, 2021

Adani Welspun makes gas discovery offshore India

Adani Welspun Exploration (AWEL) has made gas discovery in the MB-OSN-2005/2 block in the Tapti-Daman Sector of the Mumbai offshore basin in India.

By Umesh Ellichipuram

Adani Welspun Exploration (AWEL) has made gas discovery in the MB-OSN-2005/2 block in the Tapti-Daman Sector of the Mumbai offshore basin in India.

The MB-OSN-2005/2 bloc spans 714.6km² and was awarded to the joint venture under the New Exploration Licensing Policy VII (NELP-VII) bid round.

It is 100% owned and operated by Adani Welspun Exploration, a joint venture between Adani Group and construction engineering company Welspun Enterprises.

Welspun Enterprises said that the current well drilling in the offshore block has confirmed the presence of considerable quantities of gas and condensate.

Three potential zones were identified by the firm during the drilling of the well. From these, two objects tested by drill stem testing (DST) flowed a significant quantity of gas and condensate to the surface.

Welspun said that one of the objects flowed 9.7 million standard cubic feet per day (MMscfd) of gas along with condensate of 378 barrels/day (B/D) via a 28/64in choke at 2,659 pounds per square inch (psi) of flowing tubing head pressure (FTHP).

The object-II flowed 9.1MMscfd of gas along with condensate of 443B/D via a 28/64in choke at 2566psi FTHP.

Welspun Enterprises said that early indications showed the occurrence of gas-bearing reservoirs within the sandstone reservoirs of the Mahuva and Daman formations.

AWEL managing director Sandeep Garg said: “In addition to being value accretive for the company, this discovery could be a significant breakthrough for our nation given India’s focus to nearly triple the share of natural gas in its energy mix by the end of this decade.

“The company is also an operator with 100% PI of an adjacent Discovered Small Field B-9 Cluster in this prolific gas-bearing zone. The proximity of these two prospective Blocks will enable AWEL to synergise and optimise development of both the blocks.”

Welspun Enterprises holds a 35% stake in Adani Welspun Exploration through its subsidiary Welspun Natural Resources while the remaining 65% stake is held by Adani Group’s flagship company Adani Enterprises.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology