Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and Austria’s OMV are on the brink of finalising terms for a merger that could establish a chemicals conglomerate worth billions, reported Reuters.   

According to sources familiar with the matter, although there are unresolved issues, discussions are expected to recommence, potentially within the week. 

OMV, which holds a 75% stake in Borealis, with ADNOC controlling the remaining 25%, entered into negotiations last July to merge Borealis and Borouge into a single entity.  

Borealis, headquartered in Vienna, specialises in polyolefins solutions and recycling. 

Borouge, listed on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange, is a joint venture between ADNOC (54%) and Borealis (36%). 

Previously, the parties were reported to be nearing an agreement.  

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

However, several contentious points, such as employment guarantees in Austria, a stipulation for a Vienna listing, and an Austrian chairperson for the new company, have delayed the final accord, as per sources. 

Another source mentioned the possibility of a dual listing in Vienna and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).  

An OMV representative confirmed that the parties were in “ongoing negotiations”.  

Despite the hurdles, a consensus is anticipated as the challenges are deemed manageable by three sources.  

OMV had previously stated that Borealis and Borouge would merge to form “equal partners under a jointly controlled, listed platform for potential growth acquisitions to create a global polyolefin company”. 

In a separate development, ADNOC announced a commitment of $23bn (Dh84.47bn) towards decarbonisation and lower-carbon initiatives, an increase from its earlier $15bn target.  

This pledge was made at ADNOC’s annual board meeting, presided over by UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. 

According to ADNOC: “The increased allocation will include investments to grow the company’s domestic and international carbon management platforms, supporting the decarbonisation journeys of both ADNOC and its customers.”