The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) announced that Aker BP and its partners have made oil discovery in production licence 919 in the North Sea, following the drilling of wildcat well 25/4-15.

Located about 5km west of the Vilje field in the North Sea, and 215km west of Stavanger, the well has been drilled using the Scarabeo 8 drilling facility to a vertical depth of 2410m below sea level.

The drilling was aimed to confirm presence of petroleum in Paleocene reservoir rocks in the Heimdal Formation,

Following the drilling, the well 25/4-15 identified a 31.5m oil column in the Heimdal Formation, which was 187m thick in total. About 29m of oil column was a sandstone reservoir with good reservoir quality.

In a press statement, the NPD said: “The oil/water contact was encountered at 2253 metres below sea level, and the contact was confirmed with pressure points. A 1.5-metre zone of residual oil was also encountered in deeper Heimdal sand with good reservoir quality.”

As per the preliminary calculations, discovery holds between 0.5 and 0.8 million standard cubic metres (Sm3) of recoverable oil.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Aker BP operates the production licence 919 with 80% stake, while ConocoPhillips Skandinavia owns the remaining 20% interest.

The licensees plan to assess the discovery together with other nearby discoveries for a possible development.

The well 25/4-15 has now been permanently plugged and abandoned while the drilling facility is being moved to drill wildcat well 25/2-24 S in Aker BP-operated production licence 873.