Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
August 6, 2021

BHP allocates $802m for Shenzi North and Trion projects

The company approved $544m to execute the Shenzi North oil project and an additional $258m to move Trion to FEED.

By Aninda Chakraborty

Australian miner BHP Group has approved a total of $802m in funding for Shenzi North and Trion oil projects in the Gulf of Mexico.

The company will spend $544m to develop the Shenzi North, which represents the first development phase of Greater Wildling.

The project will involve adding two new wells and subsea equipment to establish a new drill centre with a production capacity of nearly 30Mboe per day.

BHP operates Shenzi North, along with a 72% stake in the project. Repsol owns the remaining 28% interest and is expected to make a final investment decision (FID) later this year.

The production from the deepwater field is expected to begin in 2024.

Separately, the BHP board also approved $258m for the Trion oil project.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager

The funding will help the project to advance to the front-end engineering design (FEED) phase and carry out engineering studies, commercial arrangements and execution planning to conduct FID next year.

BHP holds a 60% participating interest in and operatorship of blocks AE-0092 and AE-0093 hosting the Trion discovery. The other stakeholder is PEMEX Exploration & Production Mexico.

BHP petroleum operations president Geraldine Slattery said: “Both Shenzi North and Trion are strong growth assets for our business, providing attractive returns from relatively low carbon intensity resources.

“Shenzi North is aligned with the petroleum strategy to unlock and deliver further growth options in this key Gulf of Mexico heartland.

“This Board decision also marks an important milestone in advancing the Trion development as we continue to work with our partner PEMEX towards a final investment decision in calendar year 2022.”

Last month, Bloomberg reported that BHP is considering divesting oil and gas operations. The review follows increasing investor pressure on the company to reduce its carbon footprint.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU