BP has resumed operations at its Olympic Pipeline in the US state of Washington after a gasoline leakage, reported Reuters, citing a source familiar with the pipeline’s operations.

The pipeline was closed on 11 December 2023 after a loss of pressure was detected.

On 10 December, the failure of a small tube connected to the main pipeline at a pressure-check valve resulted in the spillage of around 25,660 gallons of gasoline in north-west Washington.

Since then, bp, together with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and local officials, have been working to address the spillage.

The pipeline has been restarted following completion of the repair work, integrity testing and the receipt of regulatory approval.

According to the latest update from bp and the EPA, around 7,000 gallons of spilled gasoline had been recovered.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Following the pipeline accident, containment measures have been implemented to protect the Skagit River, the second-largest in the north-west of the US and one of the largest in the country.

Commenting on the incident, Pipeline Safety Trust spokesman Kenneth Clarkson earlier said: “To see another spill of this magnitude from this pipeline is more than extremely disheartening. This time, we were fortunate that nobody was injured or killed; any spill, and especially one of this size, that happens near our schools and into our treasured waterways and salmon habitat is completely unacceptable.”

Commissioned in 1971, the 644km-long Olympic Pipeline runs from Blaine, Washington, to Portland, Oregon.

The pipeline transports gasoline, diesel and jet fuel from four refineries in north-western Washington.

bp holds a 70% stake in the pipeline project while TransMontaigne Partners owns the remaining 30% interest.