Colombian majority-state-owned oil company Ecopetrol and its partner Spanish energy business Repsol have made a hydrocarbons discovery at the Tinamú-1 exploration well in the municipality of Castilla La Nueva (Meta), Colombia.

Located in the CPO 9 block, the Tinamú-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 7,832ft. It was tested for hydrocarbons in the K1 operating formation.

During the initial tests, the well produced a total of 7,329 barrels of 16° API crude (heavy crude) with a water cut of 1%.

Upon submitting an evaluation plan for the well to Colombia’s National Hydrocarbons Agency, the companies plan to undertake extensive testing to determine the new discovery’s size and potential.

Ecopetrol president Ricardo Roa said: “Ecopetrol and Repsol are committed to continue searching for new oil and gas reserves to guarantee the energy security of Colombians. The discovery of Tinamú-1 is one more step in achieving that goal.”

The partners will work on defining a plan to delimit the size of the find and the well’s potential.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

In a press statement, Ecopetrol said: “This well has a strategic location because it is close to the Ecopetrol fields: Castilla and Chichimene in the department of Meta, where a large part of Colombia’s oil production is extracted.

“This feature makes it possible to take advantage of the existing oil infrastructure in the area to facilitate the future development of the discovery.”

Ecopetrol operates the CPO 9 block with a 55% stake while Repsol owns the remaining 45% interest.