Equinor and BP Canada make two new oil discoveries offshore Canada

30 October 2020 (Last Updated October 30th, 2020 10:39)

Norwegian energy company Equinor and partner BP Canada have made two new oil discoveries offshore Newfoundland, Canada.

Equinor and BP Canada make two new oil discoveries offshore Canada
Equinor operates the two wells with 60% interest while the remaining 40% interest is held by BP Canada. Credit: Jan Haerer / Pixabay.

Norwegian energy company Equinor and partner BP Canada have made two new oil discoveries offshore Newfoundland, Canada.

Following drilling in the Cappahayden  and  Cambriol prospects in the Flemish Pass Basin, the two wells encountered hydrocarbons presence.

However, Equinor noted that it would be too early to provide specific information on volumes present at the prospects.

Drilled using the semi-submersible drillship Transocean Barents, the wells are located approximately 500km east of St John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador.

According to Equinor, the Cappahayden and Cambriol wells have a water depth of approximately 1,000m  and 600m respectively.

The Norwegian company also said it had drilled a top-hole at the Sitka prospect as part of the 2020 exploration programme.

Equinor international offshore exploration senior vice-president Paul McCafferty said: “We are pleased to have made two discoveries offshore Newfoundland.

“The results are a testament to the hard work and dedication of our team, who have executed a safe campaign with positive results, particularly considering the unique challenges faced during the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Equinor operates the two wells with 60% interest. The remaining 40% interest is held by BP Canada.

Last month, the Government of Canada committed C$320m ($238.6m) to support the struggling offshore oil industry.

Newfoundland and Labrador province comprises four offshore developments owned by ExxonMobil, Suncor Energy, Husky Energy, Chevron, and Equinor.