Kinder Morgan has closed the $1.81bn acquisition of South Texas assets from Nextera Energy Partners, enhancing its natural gas pipeline network.

The assets, known as STX Midstream, include a network of integrated, high-pressure pipelines connecting the Eagle Ford basin to markets in Mexico and the Gulf Coast.

Kinder Morgan, which signed the deal in November, said the combined daily transportation capacity of the pipelines is 4.9 billion cubic feet.

STX Midstream owns a 90% stake in the NET Mexico pipeline, and the remaining 10% is held by MGI Enterprises, an affiliate Mexican state-owned company PEMEX.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Additionally, through STX Midstream, Kinder Morgan has obtained an interest in Eagle Ford Midstream and a 50% share in Dos Caminos.

Eagle Ford Midstream is a 254 km residue pipeline connecting the Eagle Ford basin to the Agua Dulce Hub in Nueces County, Texas.

Dos Caminos, with Howard Energy Partners (HEP) as the owner of the remaining 50% stake and the operator, recently inaugurated a ~100km pipeline that connects Kinder Morgan’s new Eagle Ford pipeline to HEP’s existing midstream pipeline and facilities in Webb County, Texas

Kinder Morgan anticipates that this strategic acquisition will contribute positively to its preliminary 2024 budget guidance.

Kinder Morgan president of natural gas pipelines Sital Mody said: “We are pleased to add these assets to our natural gas portfolio to serve growing [liquified natural gas] LNG, industrial, Mexico export and power generation demand markets on the US Gulf Coast.

“These assets integrate well with our existing South Texas footprint and extend our direct connectivity in the lean area of the Eagle Ford Basin, allowing us to offer LNG customers greater access to desirable low-nitrogen natural gas supply.”

NextEra Energy chairman and CEO John Ketchum said: “The completion of this sale is an important step in NextEra Energy Partners’ transition plans.

“With the Texas natural gas pipeline portfolio sale complete, the partnership has sufficient proceeds available to address the equity buyouts of the STX Midstream and NEP Renewables II convertible equity portfolio financings.”