Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
January 30, 2020

Kosmos Energy abandons Oldfield exploration well in Gulf of Mexico

Oil and gas exploration company Kosmos Energy has announced plans to abandon the Oldfield exploration well in the US Gulf of Mexico (GoM).

By Himaja Ganta

Oil and gas exploration company Kosmos Energy has announced plans to abandon the Oldfield exploration well in the US Gulf of Mexico.

The company said that it failed to find a significant amount of oil and gas in the well.

Kosmos Energy holds 40% interest in the Oldfield exploration well. Global oil and gas firm Hess holds the remaining 60%.

Located approximately 1,500m deep in water, Kosmos Energy drilled the Oldfield well to a depth of over 6,500m.

According to the company, it designed Oldfield to test a sub-salt Miocene prospect in Mississippi Canyon. It has been targeting approximately ten million barrels of oil equivalent (Mmboe) net.

The well has been drilled using the Valaris 8503 semi-submersible drilling rig. The rig has the capability to drill up to a water depth of 8,500ft to 10,000ft.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future

Kosmos has plans to drill three additional exploration wells in the Gulf of Mexico. It expects to record about $24m of exploration expense with respect to the drilling of the Oldfield well.

It split the drilling of these wells between the fourth quarter of last year and the first quarter of this year.

In a press statement, Kosmos said: “Following the abandonment of the Oldfield well, the Valaris 8503 rig will move to the Kodiak field to begin drilling and completion operations on a new infill producer well.

“Kosmos plans to drill three additional infrastructure-led exploration (“ILX”) wells in the Gulf of Mexico in 2020.”

In October 2018, Kosmos Energy abandoned the Pontoenoe-1 offshore exploration well in Block 42 off the coast of Suriname. This came as it had failed to find oil.

In the same year, the company acquired deepwater company operating Deep Gulf Energy (DGE) in the Gulf of Mexico for $1.225bn. This allowed Kosmos to expand its deepwater Atlantic Margin portfolio.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU