Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
July 10, 2016

BP to gain approval for Tambar field extension

BP is set to receive approval from the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) to use the facility on Tambar field in the North Sea until 1 January 2022.

BP is set to receive approval from the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD) to use the facility on Tambar field in the North Sea until 1 January 2022. 

The latest development will coincide with expiry of production licence 065, where the field is located.

The facility's initial lifetime was set at 15 years for development and operation (PDO), which would have expired on 15 July.

Located in the southern part of the North Sea, 16km south-east of Ula field, the Tambar oilfield was developed with a remote-controlled wellhead facility without process equipment.

The field is produced with depressurisation and the key drive mechanisms are natural gas expansion combined with pressure support from water drive.

"The Tambar oilfield was developed with a remote-controlled wellhead facility without process equipment."

Oil from the field is transported to Ula through pipeline and it is exported by pipeline to Teesside in the UK thorough Ekofisk upon completion of processing.  

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future

BP Norge operates production licence 065 with a 55% stake. The remaining 45% is owned by Dong E&P Norge.

Tambar is a normally unmanned wellhead platform and the production is piped to Ula for processing and export.

The field has a multiphase pump to reduce back pressure from the wellhead to the reservoir and improve oil recovery levels.

An oil discovery was made in 2007 in the Tambar East reservoir, which has since been in production.


Image: The Tambar oilfield was developed with a remote-controlled wellhead facility without process equipment. Photo: © BP.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU