GoM

BP has begun a water injection project at its Thunder Horse platform in the Mississippi Canyon, about 150 miles southeast of New Orleans, US.

The water injection project reflects BP’s strategy of continued investment in its existing deepwater Gulf of Mexico production hubs in the US.

It is also expected to increase recovery of oil and natural gas from one of the three main reservoirs of Thunder Horse field.

BP spent the last three years upgrading the platform’s existing topsides and subsea equipment, as well as drilling two water-injection wells at the site.

Water from the wells will be injected into the reservoir to increase pressure and improve production, allowing the Thunder Horse facility to recover an additional 65 million barrels of oil equivalent over time.

The development is part of BP’s plan to add about 800,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day from worldwide projects starting between 2015 and 2020.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
"This project will help BP sustain high levels of oil production in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico for years to come."

BP Gulf of Mexico business regional president Richard Morrison: "This project will help BP sustain high levels of oil production in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico for years to come.

"And it’s another example of BP taking advantage of targeted and cost-effective opportunities within our existing portfolio."

The Thunder Horse platform, which commenced production in June 2008, has the capacity to handle 250,000 barrels of oil and 200 million ft³ of natural gas per day.

BP also operates the Atlantis, Mad Dog and Na Kika platforms in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, and holds interests in non-operated Mars, Mars B, Ursa and Great White hubs.

The company has a 75% working interest in the Thunder Horse platform, while the remaining 25% is owned by Exxon Mobil.


Image: The water injection project reflects BP’s strategy of continued investment in its existing deepwater Gulf of Mexico production hubs. Photo: courtesy of BP.