View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
October 23, 2017updated 25 Oct 2017 6:38am

CNSL sanctions FID on Captain EOR project in North Sea

Chevron North Sea (CNSL) has made the final investment decision (FID) to advance the first phase of the Captain Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) project in the UK North Sea.

Chevron North Sea (CNSL) has made the final investment decision (FID) to advance the first phase of the Captain Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) project in the UK North Sea.

The project follows multiple EOR pilot programmes at Captain, and is expected to improve the combined recovery rate from the field by leveraging polymer technology.

Stage 1 of the EOR project is an expansion within the existing Captain platform area of the field and will feature up to six long-reach horizontal injection wells.

Chevron Upstream Europe managing director Greta Lydecker said: “Sanctioning Stage 1 EOR at Captain is an important milestone in the development of the technology, which we believe will improve the recovery rate from older fields and help extend the life of assets.

“We believe it will improve the recovery rate from older fields and help extend the life of assets.”

“The application of advanced EOR technology in the North Sea supports the UK Government’s strategy of maximising economic recovery (MER UK) of its offshore energy resource, and this is in direct alignment with Chevron Upstream’s strategy of extracting value from our existing asset base.”

Discovered in 1977, the Captain field is situated in Block 13/22a on the edge of the outer Moray Firth. It started commercial production in March 1997 through horizontal drilling and deploying down-hole pumps.

A wellhead protector platform (WPP) has been installed at the field with a bridge linked platform (BLP) connected to a floating production, storage and offloading vessel (FPSO).

CNSL operates the Captain field with an 85% interest, while Dana Petroleum (E&P) owns the remaining 15%.

In the UK, Chevron has working interests in 11 offshore producing fields, with four operated by the company.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology