Italian company Eni has reached a production level of 700 million cubic feet of gas per day from Nooros field in the Nile Delta offshore region off the coast of Egypt.

The field was discovered in Egypt in July last year and put into production in September. Eni said that the production is currently guaranteed by seven wells.

Going forward, the company plans to drill additional wells, and the Nooros field is expected to reach a maximum production capacity of around 160,000boed next year.

Gas and condensate produced at Nooros will be transported to Abu Madi’s treatment system, located 25km from the discovery, and then later sent to the Egyptian network.

"Nooros field is expected to reach a maximum production capacity of around 160,000boed next year."

Eni said that development of Nooros is consistent within the company’s near field exploration strategy, aimed at unlocking the presence of additional exploration potential that is close to existing infrastructure.

Petrobel operates development and production of the field on behalf of Nidoco.

Nidoco is a joint venture between IEOC, BP and the state company Egyptian General Petroleum (EGPC).

Nooros's daily production comprises around ten million cubic metres of gas and 5,000 barrels of condensates, and will provide an important contribution to reduce Egypt gas imports.

Eni has been present in Egypt since 1954 and operates through its subsidiary IEOC Production. which holds a 75% stake in the concession, while BP holds the remaining 25%.

Last year, the company’s equity production in the country was approximately 200,0000boed.