Italian oil company Eni has started production from the Goliat field, 85km north-west of Hammerfest within Production License 229 in the Barents Sea off Norway.

Goliat was developed through a floating cylindrical production and storage vessel (FPSO), which has a daily capacity of one million barrels of oil.

The unit has the capacity to handle the technical and environmental challenges linked with Arctic operations.

Eni said production from the Goliat field is expected to reach 100,000 barrels of oil per day.

"The field is estimated to contain 180 million barrels of oil reserves."

The field is estimated to contain 180 million barrels of oil reserves. Production is set to occur through a subsea system, comprising 22 wells.

Seventeen have already completed, with 12 being oil producers, seven water injectors and three gas injectors.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Goliat plans to implement new technological solutions to lessen the environmental impact, and will receive power from shore through subsea cables.

Eni holds a 65% stake in the Production License 229, and serves as an operator, while Norway’s Statoil holds the remaining 35% interest.

In September 2015, the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate granted consent to the licensees of the Goliat oilfield for start-up of their facilities and production.

However, Eni delayed production in December 2015 due to testing of electronic systems not yet being complete, despite having performed installation of subsea facilities and connected wells to the floating platform.

The field development plan stipulates production of hydrocarbons from the Realgrunnen and Kobbe reservoirs.

Image: The Goliat oilfield is located in the Barents Sea off Norway. Photo: courtesy of Norwegian Petroleum Directorate.