Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
February 10, 2015updated 26 Nov 2021 8:54am

First gas flows from extended Discovery pipeline in Gulf of Mexico

Williams and DCP Midstream Partners have started natural gas flows from the new extended Discovery gathering pipeline system.

Williams and DCP Midstream Partners have started natural gas flows from the new extended Discovery gathering pipeline system.

The Keathley Canyon Connector gas gathering pipeline system and the South Timbalier Block 283 junction platform are serving producers in the central ultra-deepwater Gulf of Mexico.

The 209-mile Keathley Canyon Connector has the capacity to gather more than 400 million cubic feet per day (MMcf/d) of natural gas.

“With the start-up of the Keathley Canyon pipeline, the Discovery joint venture is now ready to serve the growing production needs of our deepwater producers.”

It starts in the southeast part of the Keathley Canyon protraction area and terminates into Discovery’s 30in diameter mainline at the new junction platform.

The pipeline was built in depths of about 7,200ft of water, around 300 miles south-south-west of New Orleans.

The extension has long-term agreements with the Lucius and Hadrian South owners, as well as the Heidelberg and Hadrian North owners, for natural gas gathering, transportation and processing services for production from the fields.

Content from our partners
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager
The important role of antifoam agents in oil-gas separation and amine treating

As well as the offshore gathering system, the Discovery system includes the 600MMcf/d Larose natural gas processing facility, which links six interstate/intrastate gas pipelines, and the 35,000 BBL/d Paradis fractionation plant.

Williams Partners operates and holds 60% of the Discovery system. DCP Midstream Partners owns the remaining 40% stake.

DCP Midstream Partners president Bill Waldheim said: “With the start-up of the Keathley Canyon pipeline, the Discovery joint venture is now ready to serve the growing production needs of our deepwater producers.”

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU