Oil and gas firm Hyperdynamics Corporation has begun a deepwater 3D seismic survey programme off the coast of the Republic of Guinea.

Seismic contractor CGGVeritas will acquire and process 3D seismic data in a deepwater area covering approximately 4,000 square kilometres using the survey vessel Oceanic Endeavour.

The major objective of the work is to investigate multiple possible deepwater submarine fans in the equatorial Atlantic margin seen on a 2D survey acquired in 2009.

Hyperdynamics CEO Ray Leonard said the survey will use CGGVeritas’s BroadSeis broadband solution to provide a clear and more detailed image of the subsurface.

Hyperdynamics is the operator of the offshore Guinea concession with a 77% interest, while Dana Petroleum holds the remaining 23%.