Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
February 24, 2015

Inpex wins two new exploration permits, offshore Western Australia

Inpex has won two new exploration blocks, offshore Western Australia, near its Ichthys gas-condensate field.

Inpex

Inpex has won two new exploration blocks, offshore Western Australia, near its Ichthys gas-condensate field.

The company has secured exploration permits for the WA-513-P and WA-514-P offshore blocks in the Browse basin jointly with Santos.

Located about 500km north-north-east off Broome, the blocks are sited near large gas reserves that include the Ichthys field and Prelude and Concerto gas fields.

"Inpex Browse will own a 40% participating interest in the two blocks, while operator Santos will hold the remaining 60% stake."

Inpex Browse will own a 40% participating interest in the two blocks, while operator Santos will hold the remaining 60% stake.

The latest acquisition will increase Inpex’s exploration permits or retention leases to 13 in the vicinity of Ichthys.

Drilling has recently started on the Ichthys gas-condensate field, which is part of the Ichthys LNG project, located around 200km offshore Western Australia.

Content from our partners
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager
The important role of antifoam agents in oil-gas separation and amine treating

The first of 20 high-rate gas production wells to be drilled were spudded by the ENSCO-5006 drilling rig.

The Ichthys LNG project is a joint venture between Inpex group companies, Total group companies and the Australian subsidiaries of Tokyo Gas, Osaka Gas, Chubu Electric Power and Toho Gas.

The project will have an initial capacity to produce 8.4 million tonnes of LNG a year and 1.6 million tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas a year, as well as peak production of around 100,000 barrels of condensate per day.


Image: The Ichthys LNG project’s Darwin Harbour dredging programme was completed in August 2014. Photo: courtesy of Inpex.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU