US-based Marathon Oil has produced the first gas from its new Alba B3 compression platform in offshore Equatorial Guinea (EG).

Production from the platform will allow the company to convert around 130 million barrels of oil equivalent of undeveloped reserves and increase its remaining developed reserve base in EG.  

Marathon Oil Conventional vice-president Mitch Little said: "The Alba B3 compression project will allow us to maintain plateau production for the next two years, mitigating base decline, while extending the Alba Field's life by up to eight years. 

"I want to highlight that the platform was completed on time and within budget, reflecting strong project management and a close collaboration with the operations team in EG."

"The Alba B3 compression project will allow us to maintain plateau production for the next two years."

The company collaborated with Heerema Fabrication Group (HFG), which served as the general contractor to execute the Alba B3 compression project that involved engineering and construction in four countries.

The platform flare and bridge structures have been fabricated by an Equatoguinean construction firm as part of Marathon Oil's proposal to build local capacity within the country. 

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Marathon E G  Production operates the Alba Field with a 65% working interest, while the remaining 35% is owned by Noble Energy.

Condensate and natural gas from the Alba field are extracted and sent to the onshore gas plant at Punta Europa for processing in various products, including propane and butane.

Marathon Oil reported net proved reserves of 2.2 billion barrels of oil equivalent in North America, Europe and Africa at the end of last year.