View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
July 13, 2017

NOC gains operatorship of Al-Shaheen oilfield offshore Qatar

Total and Qatar Petroleum partnership North Oil Company (NOC) is set to take over operatorship of the Al-Shaheen offshore oilfield, Qatar.

Total and Qatar Petroleum partnership North Oil Company (NOC) is set to take over operatorship of the Al-Shaheen offshore oilfield, Qatar.  

Located in Qatari waters 80km north of Ras Laffan, the field produces 300,000bpd and will be operated by NOC for 25 years. 

The Al-Shaheen field began production in 1994. The existing development comprises 30 platforms and 300 wells.

Total chairman and CEO Patrick Pouyanné said: "NOC will leverage its technical capabilities to optimise the exploitation of the complex Al-Shaheen oilfield.

"Total is fully committed to the development of its partnership with Qatar Petroleum both in Qatar and internationally, and is willing to further expand its cooperation in particular with new projects in Qatar."

"NOC will leverage its technical capabilities to optimise the exploitation of the complex Al-Shaheen oilfield."

Al Shaheen's first phase if development comprises drilling of 56 new wells.

As part of preparations, the first two rigs will be mobilised, and a third one will be added at the beginning of next year.

Two other phases will follow over the next five years to further develop the offshore field.

At present, Maersk Oil is the operator of the Al Shaheen field and will continue until the end of the current licence this month.

Total has a 30% stake in NOC, while the remaining 70% is held by Qatar Petroleum. 

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology