View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
March 30, 2015

Statoil makes new natural gas discovery, offshore Tanzania

Statoil has made a new gas discovery at the Mdalasini-1 exploration well off the Tanzanian coast.

Image

Statoil has made a new gas discovery at the Mdalasini-1 exploration well off the Tanzanian coast.

The discovery of an additional one trillion cubic feet (tcf) to 1.8tcf of natural gas in the well brings the total of on-place volumes to 22tcf in Block 2.

Statoil drilled the Mdalasini-1 well with a 100% working interest. The Mdalasini-1 discovery is situated at a 2,296m water depth, at the southernmost edge of the block.

The company made the new gas discovery in Tertiary and Cretaceous sandstones.

Statoil senior vice-president of exploration activities in the western hemisphere Nick Maden said: "The Mdalasini-1 discovery marks the completion of the first phase of an efficient and successful multi-well exploration programme offshore Tanzania.

"Since the start of the programme in February 2012, we have drilled 13 wells and made eight discoveries, including Mdalasini-1.

"The Mdalasini-1 discovery marks the completion of the first phase of an efficient and successful multi-well exploration programme offshore Tanzania."

"We still see prospectivity in the area, but after appraising the Tangawizi-1 high-impact discovery, which was made in March 2013, there will be a pause in the drilling to evaluate the next steps and to mature new prospects."

Statoil and its co-venturer ExxonMobil have made seven discoveries in Block 2.

The licence on Block 2 is being operated by Statoil on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC).

Statoil holds a 65% working interest. ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania owns the remaining 35% stake.

TPDC has the right to a 10% working interest in the event of a development phase.


Image: Statoil operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation. Photo: courtesy of Statoil.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology