Sterling Energy’s subsidiary Sterling Energy Mauritania (SEML) has announced its withdrawal from Block C-3, located offshore in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania.

As part of this, the company will assign its entire participating interest of 40.5% in the production sharing contract (PSC) for the block to Tullow Mauritania.

The company said it has completed minimum work obligations for Block C-3.

Upon completion of the assignment, Tullow will operate the PSC with 90% interest and the remaining 10% would be owned by Société Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier.

"The company plans to work with Tullow to mature the existing portfolio and finalise the planned well on Block C-10 by 2017."

The PSC was awarded in 2013 and covers Block C-3 comprising an area of about 9,800km².

With the acquisition of interest in Block C-3 from Tullow in July 2015, SEML entered into an underexplored area of the Mauritanian shelfal region with a newly acquired regional infill 2D seismic grid.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Block C-3 also provided the company with protection acreage adjacent to its other exploration interest in Block C-10, offshore Mauritania, which will not be affected by the withdrawal.

The company plans to work with Tullow to mature the existing portfolio and finalise the planned well on Block C-10 by 2017.

Sterling Energy CEO Eskil Jersing said: "Our entry into the C-3 block was prefaced on the block providing dependent running room for the immature shelfal Cretaceous and Jurassic plays recognised in Block C-10.

"The withdrawal from Block C-3 is entirely in-line with our approach of disciplined exploration."

Completion of the withdrawal is subject to the approval by the Government of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania.