France-based oil major Total has abandoned work at its exploration well Vendsyssel-1 in north-western Denmark.

The company has stopped exploration activities saying that the gas discovery is too thin for commercial development.

Total E&P Denmark, which operates the license 1/10, has drilled the well Vendsyssel-1 (5710/22-2) in the northern part of Jytland, close to Dybvad as a vertical data acquisition well with Alum Shales as target.

"The well confirmed the presence of gas in the Alum Shales of Upper Cambrium to Lower Ordovicien age, but the layer thickness did not meet expectations."

According to the Danish Energy Agency, the well confirmed the presence of gas in the Alum Shales of Upper Cambrium to Lower Ordovicien age, but the layer thickness did not meet expectations.

In order to further characterise the Alum Shales, coring was undertaken in addition to acquiring data.

The rig SMP 105 was used to spud the Vendsyssel-1 well on 4 May 2015 at the position 57° 17′ 05" N; 10° 16′ 11" E.

At a depth of 3,564.35m below terrain, corresponding to 3,543m below mean sea level, the well terminated in sandstone of Upper Cambrian to Lower Ordovician age.

The licence 1/10 is 80% held by Total E&P Denmark and the remaining 20% is owned by Nordsøfonden

AP quoted Total as saying that the amount of gas found near Dybvad was not sufficient for commercial extraction and for the time being exploration work would be halted on the licence.

The well is being permanently plugged and abandoned and no further work will be carried out.