QatarEnergy has awarded a contract worth $10bn (QR36.4bn) for the North Field South (NFS) project to a joint venture (JV) of Technip Energies and Consolidated Contractors Company.

The engineering, procurement and construction contract is for work on the liquefaction trains required for its NFS expansion project.

Under the contract, the JV will construct two liquefied natural gas (LNG) mega trains with a combined capacity of 16 million tons per annum (mtpa).

It will also be responsible for building associated facilities for gas treatment, natural gas liquids recovery, as well as helium extraction and refining within Ras Laffan Industrial City.

Qatar Minister of State for Energy Affairs and QatarEnergy president and CEO Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi said: “QatarEnergy is proud to announce yet another significant milestone in the world’s largest LNG project, reinforcing our commitment to meeting the global demand for natural gas.”

“The NFS project is a unique development that minimises its environmental footprint by design. It includes one of the largest CO₂ capture and sequestration facilities and constitutes an important step towards achieving QatarEnergy’s target of more than 11mtpa of CO₂ capture and sequestration by 2035.”

The North Field East and North Field South projects form part of the wider North Field expansion project, which aims to boost the existing North Field’s LNG production capacity.

By 2028, these two projects are expected to add 48mtpa to the export capacity of Qatar, bringing the country’s total export capacity to 126Mtpa.

QatarEnergy owns a 75% stake in the NFS project and has already brokered a deal for the remaining 25% stake with TotalEnergies, Shell and ConocoPhillips.